Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day


Today is not only my first Mother's Day but the 100th anniversary of the holiday. And realizing that I knew nothing about the holiday I did some research. I don't want to bore you so I'll keep it basic. Anna Jarvis, the founder of the holiday, did not have children but invented the celebration in an effort to recognize her mother. The first Mother's Day service was started 3 years after her mother died and where her mother had spent more than 20 years teaching Sunday school. Because I'm not a writer, or even good at paraphrasing, the following text is taken directly from Fox News:

Today, the former Andrews Methodist Episcopal Church is the official shrine to mothers around the world. The shrine also serves as a "reminder to the accomplishments of these women and to the issues mothers still deal with today, trying to do the balancing act of being everything to everyone," said Cindi Mason, the shrine's director.

Years later, now a commercialized holiday, Jarvis stated that she "wished she would have never started the day because it became so out of control ...". I definitely agree that the true spirit of holidays is lost in the frenzy of material things. That being said, I did enjoy waking up to a custom matted and framed photo of Ellia and I. Followed by Ellia's coos and laughs, reminding me why it's so awesome to be a mother. No gift in the world can top that.


No comments: