Sunday, February 22, 2009

Darned if you do, Darned if you don't

Ellia has been plagued with recurring ear infections. We have been stuck in this cycle of infections, antibiotics and visits to the pediatrician (sometimes twice a week!) since she started school. So we elected to have tubes placed in her ears last Monday (2/16). I'll insert a quick tidbit about the surgery here. Before the nurse takes Ellia back they give her a little "cocktail" to calm her down. I asked the nurse how long it takes to set in...2-5 minutes. 20 minutes later my little stubborn stinkpot is not woozy and sweet, but instead, fighting through the drugs to keep the staff from taking her vitals (she hates stethoscopes and scrubs). Thanks to JB for that hard-headed gene (I NEVER display these traits :) ). But surgery was fast and we headed home. By that evening she recooped and was playing as if nothing had happened. That first night after the surgery she slept the entire night without stirring. That's a first in some time. But Tuesday she woke up with a low grade fever. I wasn't too concerned since she had gotten her MMR vaccine the week prior and they warned that me that she may run a temp 7-10 days later. Wednesday, still a low fever. Thursday, same. I'll give the shot one, maybe two days but on day three I called the doc again. (Seems like we live at the ped's office). Dr. Wan said Ellia had a sore throat and decided to run a culture for Strep. She said that you don't often see strep in children this young but she has seen alot of it going around. And.....STREP it is. Another example of darned if you do, darned if you don't. Here I was trying to wait it out and my baby is in pain and infected. Yet another antibiotic. But her ears looked clear. Music to my ears.

No comments: